Saturday, November 18, 2017

OH, HOW I MISS THE "GOOD OLD DAYS" LIKE WE HAD IN THE PAST. ROGER'S OUTDOOR NEWS

Well, here we are at the beginning of the 2017 deer season and the woods has been quiet as of 7:00 am and I heard no gun shots yet. Oh I'll take that back since someone decided to shoot at some thing right now. It's a cold wet morning and not the best deer hunting conditions around here near the lake shore. Of course I can't remember a year that we didn't have some rain. 

As I look back out the years from my youthful years, the first year I went deer hunting, we had a lite snow fall during the night and the guys I was hunting with had a beautiful spot for me to watch for deer. The first deer I saw was a doe that had to be going 100 mph as it almost ran me over and I had to check my pants to make sure they weren't full. I never ever saw a deer that close to me run past. 

As the day light got brighter and the cold started to settle in, I was rubbing my hands together wondering if I would ever see another deer that season. As I looked up, I was looking at a really nice spike buck following a doe coming out of the thick woods I was in. I could feel my heart and it felt like it was ready to jump out of my chest. As I raised the gun to shot the buck, I noticed a few more deer walking out of the woods near the very edge looking towards where I was sitting. I was so shocked to see so many deer at one time, unlike the stories I have heard in the past from the older hunters I was with. One of the guys I heard shooting in the woods on the other side of me, so I waited for the deer to get out of the woods and be a little closer to me. I froze in place, hoping they would not see me. I learned real fast that the deer have great noses, as I must of farted some, and they were looking for the direction of where it was coming from. Just as I was all locked in on shooting the buck, one doe decided to bolt, and all of them did the same thing. I got off one shot with my 20 ga. H & R single shot. 

Later on in the day, the other guys came over to me and asked why I froze like I did with that many deer in front of me. I told them I was waiting for a bigger deer to show up. Some seemed to have bought the idea and the others later told me they were watching to see what I would do with all those deer around me. Hey, I'm 12, my first year hunting, we didn't have hunter education in those days, you learned from the older members of the hunting party. You also learned how to play sheephead and drink some hard stuff. Oh the fun we use to have in the "good old days" when you could enjoy life without worrying if you were going to get busted for something everyone was doing in those days. Good Luck to all the 2017 hunters.

No comments:

Post a Comment